December 15, 2020
Traveling as a Job with Diabetes and Making Memories
Don’t let Diabetes stop you from traveling as a job, for fun, or with your family. The adventure that traveling will take you on will happen whether you have diabetes or not. If you manage it properly, you can enjoy your adventure. Get out of your routine, it’s part of the fun. But planning is key so you can count on more fun and less worry on the way and when you get to your destination. Most of all make memories.
Getting Ready to Travel as a Job
- Visit your doctor to make sure you are fit for your trip. Ask for prescriptions in case you lose them or run out.
- Locate pharmacies and make sure you have all of your medical information gathered/medical ID bracelet.
- Pack extra medicine in the pharmacy bottles they came in. And in a carry-on bag.
- Pack healthy snacks like fruit, raw veggies, and nuts.
Making the Journey
- If you’re driving, pack a cooler with healthy foods and water.
- Keep insulin out of direct sunlight.
- Find healthy food options like salads with chicken or fish, eggs, omelets, yogurt, burgers with a lettuce wrap instead of a bun, fruit and nuts.
- Get out of the car and walk every hour or two to prevent blood clots.
- Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to take your medicine if you’re traveling across time zones.
You Have Finally Arrived
- Check your blood sugar often. Being more active than usual, you may need to make adjustments.
- Avoid the temptations of giant buffets. Instead, order healthier choices or a low-carb menu or within your meal plan.
- Don’t overdo physical activity during the head of the day and avoid getting a sunburn. Traveling as a job can be exhausting as it is, so don’t push yourself too hard.
- High temps can change how your body uses insulin. You many need to test your blood sugar more often and what you eat and drink.
- Bring wet wipes so you can clean your hands before you check your blood sugar if you are in the great outdoors.
Diabetes can make traveling more challenging, but it doesn’t have to stop you from making memories. Think about the big picture. Enjoy the moments of life, you will never get them back. You are making memories!
October 31, 2021
How Covid 19 Is Affecting Travel Nursing Jobs
The pandemic of Covid-19 has brought on many changes to our daily lives. From people working from home more to complete shutdowns of cities and countries, it is fair to…
October 28, 2021
What You Can Get From Travel Nursing
If you are in the travel nursing industry, you already know that the fulfillment that comes from helping your patients is indescribable and unmeasurable. But, if you are new…