How To Stay In Touch With Family As A Traveling Nurse
Being a traveling nurse can be extremely rewarding. Being away from friends, family and having a new home base can be very challenging. Luckily, with technology, it’s easier than ever to stay connected while you’re working from a distance.
Here are 10 ways to stay in touch with family as a traveling nurse.
- Create a private Facebook group to upload photos and have conversations.
- Dedicate time each day to talk face-to-face. Use FaceTime, video calling on Facebook Messenger, Zoom, or any other video chat service.
- When video calling is impossible (like while driving) then have a regular phone conversation. Even if it’s just for 5 minutes!
- Start a text messaging chat group with select people on a particular topic.
- If work schedules are a challenge or people are in different time zones, consider the Marco Polo app or alternatives where you can record short videos to send back and forth.
- Send a gift through the mail to your loved ones’ house. Order online and deliver it directly to minimize the effort on your end.
- Create a traveling nurse Instagram account and post to stories daily.
- Invite friends and family to come to you for a weekend vacation.
- Start a weekly or bi-weekly game night routine where everyone plays online via video chat.
- Surprise a family member with a special visit, especially fitting for a long assignment.
Stay balanced while on assignment
Working as a traveling nurse can be a fulfilling career. And while staying connected to loved ones while you are on assignment can be difficult, it is also important to take advantage of the benefits of traveling nurses.
Working in a completely new city with new places to see, activities to do and people to meet has the potential to keep you busy. It’s important to maintain relationships with members far away while dedicating time to your new healthcare position and exploring your new home base.
There is no wrong way to stay in touch with family and friends as a traveling nurse. There are lots of ways to stay connected!